Sunday, March 15, 2009

Music Review; The Pussycat Dolls 'Jai Ho'


There is no question about what words have been on everybodys lips for the past month or so; JAI HO. Since being a part of that poorfolk india lovely movie, all I can think about is JAI HO. Every morning when I wake up - its JAI HO. Everytime I dip my bus ticket - its JAI HO. Everytime I'm scraping the dead skin of my feet with this wonder scrub body shop thing - (you know it) - it's JAI HO. 

I dont know what JAI HO means, but because of the positive and alluring way Nicole Scherzinggah (aka The Zinger) sings it in the dolls recent cover of the Oscar winning track, I've come to understand JAI HO as a phrase meaning 'hope', or something along the lines of 'after it rains comes the rainbow'. Henceforth it's everyday slang and vernacular for me, you could say my life is pretty JAI HO - and thats a good thing! 

I'm really glad the dolls have taken what was just your regular pop song and made it their own. It certainly wasn't the first time - check out their much-better-than-the-original covers of Hot Stuff, Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps, and Sway. They have definitely bough a club banger with this track, and I simply can't wait to JAI HO my way around the d'floor getting jiggy with my JAI HO. 

I'm also obsessed with the white-girl-in-a-sari look that's accompanying the single, nothing looks more culturally aware/understanding/empathetic than the most sophisticated and knowledgeable women of a consumeristic white country dressing themselves in the traditional garments wore by the women of a less developed asian nation. 

1 comment:

  1. was that racially or culturally incorrect of me to think/type?

    whats a disclaimer?

    ReplyDelete